Intro to Elk River
Elk River is rooted in history. In 1805, Zebulon Pike passed through the area during his Mississippi River exploration and, due to the thundering herds of elk he say, appropriately named the land Elk River. Since then, the land and people who have inhabited it have built a prosperous, thriving community. The city is highlighted by it’s vibrant art scene, illustrated by the many downtown murals. But the area is also known for its abundance of outdoor and indoor activities alike, which keeps the citizens busy and active, while bringing in out of towners who want to experience all that Elk River has to offer.
Things to do in Elk River + Why we made the list
Elk River is one of the hidden gems of the Twin Cities Metro Area. While the cities are full of hustle and bustle, the surrounding suburbs also have plenty of activities and events to participate in. Whether you want to relax on your own along the river, or enjoy the company of friends and family, the city has you covered. We’re grateful to serve Elk River MN with our Roofing and Siding services – so we thought, why not help people find fun activities! So, if you’re new to the area or are just curious as to what’s going on in our neck of the woods, here is a helpful list of things to do in and around Elk River.
Things to do in the Winter
People who complain about being bored in the winter aren’t trying hard enough to find fun things to do, and they’ve certainly never been to Elk River either. This city is home to plenty of winter activities that will get you and your family off the couch. Whether you want to be inside or outside during the snowy months, or if you want to take your family sledding or enjoy some holiday events, there is plenty to do in the winter here in Elk River.
Outdoor Activities – Winter
You can still enjoy the outdoors despite the chill in the air in Elk River.
- Sledding at Deerfield Park in Elk River Anytime
- Shiver Elk River Festival at Lake Orono Park February 9 from 9am-3pmOutdoor hockey tournament, 5k/10k run-walk, live music, food, and more
- Lion John Weicht Park Open 6am-10pm Ice hockey rink with lights and sledding hills
- Ice Skating at the Historic Handke Stadium Always Open Hockey and ice skating in “The Pit”
Holiday Themed Events
Tis the season! And Elk River has you covered for all you need to enjoy the holidays this year.
- Downtown Tree Lighting at the Rivers Edge Commons Park – November 23rd from 5-6pm – Hot chocolate, caroling, and free admission
- Santa in the Park at Rivers Edge Commons Park – December 8th from 12-3pm – Petting zoo, snacks, and the first 300 kids will receive a goodie bag
- Holiday Spectacular – December 16th from 2:30-3:30pm and 4-5:30pm – Showcasing the Elk River Figure Skating Club, $2 skate rental, and skate with Santa – More information
When the weather outside is frightful, turn to this indoor options for entertainment.
- Marcus Elk River Cinema – $5 holiday classics – November 30th – December 13th
- River City Extreme – Nearby in Monticello – Cosmic and Regular bowling – More information
- Albertville Outlet Mall – 110 stores and services to shop from
- Mystery Chambers (Escape Room) – Open Thursday – Sunday – More information
- Wild Woods Water Park connected to Holiday Inn – Nearby in Otsego – Water slides, basketball, zero-depth pool, and a lazy river all included with a stay at the Holiday Inn
- Monticello Community Center – Water slides, a large pool, and rock climbing – More information
- Azitala Yoga – $15/dop-in class available – Hot yoga – More information
Outdoor Activities – Summer
Once Summer rolls around, there are even more events and activities to take part in!
- Canoe the Elk River – More information on Elk River
- Fishing on the Mississippi River – Grab your pole and catch walleye and bass
- Taste of Elk River – Mid-May – Food and wine festival
- Explore the Woodland Trail – Hike and biking allowed (skiing in the winter) – More information
- Elk River Golf Club – 18 holes $35 for walking, $50 with cart – More information
- Nearby Lake Orono – Enjoy the beach and the sun
- Sherburne County Fair – July – More information
Happy Hours and Food
Meet up with some friends and grab a drink at one of Elk River’s many happy hour options.
- Tipsy Chicken – Order a “Frog Juice” Cocktail that is made with Froggy B vodka and fresh juices
- Aegir Brewing Company – Taproom from 4-11pm Thursday-Sunday
- Lupulin Brewing (Big Lake) – 10-barrel craft brewery and taproom – Pint and Paint: Flurry the Snowman ($30, December 3 – 6:30pm) – More information
- Two Rivers Vineyard and Winery (Ramsey) – Open Thursday-Sunday
- The Rum River Band – Play classic hits from 50s, 60s, 70s – Saturday, December 15th at 7pm
- Holiday Show – Sunday, December 9th from 3-5pm – More information