People who complain about being bored in the winter aren’t trying hard enough to find fun things to do, and they’ve certainly never been to Elk River either. This city is home to plenty of winter activities that will get you and your family off the couch. Whether you want to be inside or outside during the snowy months, or if you want to take your family sledding or enjoy some holiday events, there is plenty to do in the winter here in Elk River.
Outdoor Activities – Winter
You can still enjoy the outdoors despite the chill in the air in Elk River.
- Sledding at Deerfield Park in Elk River Anytime
- Shiver Elk River Festival at Lake Orono Park February 9 from 9am-3pmOutdoor hockey tournament, 5k/10k run-walk, live music, food, and more
- Lion John Weicht Park Open 6am-10pm Ice hockey rink with lights and sledding hills
- Ice Skating at the Historic Handke Stadium Always Open Hockey and ice skating in “The Pit”
Holiday Themed Events
Tis the season! And Elk River has you covered for all you need to enjoy the holidays this year.
- Downtown Tree Lighting at the Rivers Edge Commons Park – November 23rd from 5-6pm – Hot chocolate, caroling, and free admission
- Santa in the Park at Rivers Edge Commons Park – December 8th from 12-3pm – Petting zoo, snacks, and the first 300 kids will receive a goodie bag
- Holiday Spectacular – December 16th from 2:30-3:30pm and 4-5:30pm – Showcasing the Elk River Figure Skating Club, $2 skate rental, and skate with Santa – More information
When the weather outside is frightful, turn to this indoor options for entertainment.
- Marcus Elk River Cinema – $5 holiday classics – November 30th – December 13th
- River City Extreme – Nearby in Monticello – Cosmic and Regular bowling – More information
- Albertville Outlet Mall – 110 stores and services to shop from
- Mystery Chambers (Escape Room) – Open Thursday – Sunday – More information
- Wild Woods Water Park connected to Holiday Inn – Nearby in Otsego – Water slides, basketball, zero-depth pool, and a lazy river all included with a stay at the Holiday Inn
- Monticello Community Center – Water slides, a large pool, and rock climbing – More information
- Azitala Yoga – $15/dop-in class available – Hot yoga – More information
- Crossfit Elk River – Get back into shape at this local gym – More information