When it comes to installing a brand-new roof, there are lots of things for homeowners to keep track of. From roofing costs to schedules and roofing material types, it seems like the list of questions for your contractor is endless. Which is why we hate to break it to you, but there may be one critical question that you are missing.
That’s right. We are talking about warranties.
If this is your first time replacing a roof on your home, you may be unaware of the warranty policies and the way that they can help you save money. Well, consider that over and done with!
Today, we’ll be helping you understand:
- What a warranty is
- Why it is important
- What you should talk to your roofing contractor about
Keep reading to make sure that your roof stays protected and affordable!
What Is a Warranty? 🤷♀️
Let’s keep it simple and start with the basics. What exactly is a warranty?
Warranties are essentially written guarantees from the manufacturer of a product or the provider of a service. These guarantees promise to repair the damage that occurs within a specific time frame. Warranties are offered for all sorts of products, from kitchen gadgets to major home appliances. But most roofing materials will come with a warranty as well.
That sounds like a nice deal, right? Repairs at no extra cost to you! However, keep in mind that not all types of damage are covered by a warranty policy.
Why You Need Warranties
Warranties may sound nice, but are they really necessary when it comes to your roof replacement? In our opinion, absolutely! Here are just some of the reasons you want to make sure you have a quality warranty on your roof:
- Faulty Materials – Sometimes life happens, and you end up with a product that does not meet a manufacturer’s usual standards. If your roof sustains water damage due to improperly made shingles, your product warranty can help cover the cost of replacing it.
- Faulty Installation – When it comes to roofing contractors, not all are created equal. The average homeowner can have trouble distinguishing a quality roofing company from a sub-par one. This could result in faulty installation. However, if the company offers a workmanship warranty, you may not have to pay to have the roof repaired.
- Short Lifespan – Despite your best efforts to maintain it, is your roof aging faster than it should be? This may be due to a product failure over time. If this is the case, your warranty should be able to cover it.
Roofing Material vs. Workmanship Warranty 🏡
You may have seen us refer to a product and a workmanship warranty above. But what does that mean, exactly? As a homeowner, it is important to recognize the difference so that you understand what you are signing up for.
Roofing Materials Warranty
Roofing material warranties – also referred to as “product warranties” – are designed to cover any damage that may incur from a faulty product itself. This could include products that break for no reason or age prematurely.
Workmanship warranties are offered by individual roofing companies and cover the roofing service you receive under their care. If your roof begins to have issues because of the way it was installed, your roofing workmanship warranty would cover any repairs that need to be done.
5 Roof Warranties by Brand 🔨
When it comes to product warranties, most asphalt shingle manufacturers offer similar deals. Here are some of the top brands on the market and their warranty plans.
GAF is one of the top roofing brands on the market, and they offer a wide range of warranties. All of their products Their simplest plans offer you a 10-year product warranty. However, their extended warranty plans provide you with up to 50 years of coverage.
2) Owens Corning
Another popular roofing brand, Owens Corning offers a lifetime warranty on their products. However, as time goes on, the coverage of that warranty will diminish. For example, after the first ten years, you will lose access to their materials coverage on their limited warranty plan. Extended warranties allow you to keep that protection for up to 50 years.
CertainTeed offers a 5-star rating system for their extended warranties. The 5-star program will give you up to 50 years of protection, whereas the 3-star will only give you 20 years. Their higher-rated extended roof warranty programs also cover the roofing material disposal process.
The majority of IKO’s roofing warranties have limited lifetime coverage. It’s important to note that they measure their warranty times in terms of months rather than years, so it is a good idea to keep a precise record of when you purchased your roof.
Malarkey offers a limited lifetime warranty, with transferability up to 60 days after the sale of your house. They are particularly beloved in windy climates, as they offer an enhanced wind warranty option to protect against blown-off shingles.
What Will a Warranty Cover? 📝
When it comes to roof damage, it can be difficult to understand what is covered by a warranty vs. insurance. Here are the key things that are and are not covered by your roofing warranty.
- Shingles – Dealing with roof damage? It is important to note that your manufacturer warranties will only cover the shingles themselves. They will not cover other aspects of your roof, such as the underlayment or gutters.
- Defective Materials – If your roof fails earlier than it should, or you have cracks and curling shingles soon after purchasing them, your roofing material warranty should cover them.
- Improper Installation Techniques – Are your shingles fine, but water is still finding a way inside your home? This is likely due to poor installation and should be covered by a roof workmanship warranty.
❌ Not Covered
- Storm Damaged Shingles – Unfortunately, if your roof becomes damaged during a bout of inclement weather, neither your manufacturer nor the roofing company that you hired is responsible for it. This is a job for insurance!
- Neglect – If you haven’t been properly maintaining your roof and it creates damage, unfortunately, you are on the hook for the repairs!
- DIY Projects – When you decide to take roof repair into your own hands, you always run the risk of damaging your roof. If this is the case, you alone will be responsible for the repair costs.
Work With Reliable Roofers ☎️
If you are looking for a workmanship warranty that you can count on, as well as superior roof installation services, look no further. Northface Construction is proud to offer our customers top-of-the-line roofing services. Contact us today to get a free quote for your roof replacement!